A Cultural Event Scheduled for Saturday, October 8th from 9:00 am to 4:00pm!
The 2016 Zion Strassenfest will be held Saturday, October 8th, from 9:00am – 4pm in the Zion gym. Our Zion Strassenfest committee and its corps of volunteers has an amazing ability to transform an ordinary gym into a charismatic German street fair. From authentically crafted store booths to mood-boosting accordion music to sightings of Lederhosen (German for leather pants)…you’ll feel as if you’ve stepped into a portal to Germany. It’s an event not-to-be-missed!
We need your help to fill the booths with homemade or donated items. This year’s fest will feature the following themed booths:
• Antiques—Items that are 100 years or older including furniture, glassware, pictures, tools, watches, art, books, farm items, etc.
• Vintage Items—Treasures that are 40-50 years old including tins, chests, suitcases, clocks, dishware, buttons, typewriters, scales, knick knacks, books, etc.
• Kitchen Corner—Cookbooks, cooking tools, towels, washcloths, dishcloths, pot
holders, casserole cozies, plastic bag holders, ceramics, decorative rugs, handmade trays, etc.
• Woodworking—Wooden toys, birdhouses, bird feeders, dollhouses, cutting boards, rolling pins, flower boxes, benches, decorative boxes, etc.
• Bakery—Homemade goods including kuchen, bread, cookies, bars, pastries, pies,cakes, scones, etc.
• Books & Puzzles—Classics, westerns, romance novels, textbooks, kids books, how-to manuals, fairy tales, series, magazines and puzzles for young and old!.
• Christmas—decorative and festive items such as mantelpieces, ornaments, tree skirts, swags, wreaths, table runners, placemats, tablecloths, grapevine trees and wreaths, sleds, ice skates, Christmas story books, etc.
• Pantry—Homemade canned foods and garden produce, dried herbs, spices, plants,corn stalks, etc.
• Candy—Divinity, fudge, chocolate, peanut brittle, toffee, truffles, caramels, hard candies, etc.
• Boutique—Handmade items including jewelry, candles, bath soaps, rag dolls and doll clothes, knit baby blankets, booties, bibs, bonnets, quilts, bags, purses, fine art, etc.
• Sidewalk Cafe—Treats, sweets and snacks such as cinnamon rolls, kringles, doughnuts, coffee cake, cupcakes, coffees, juice, etc.
Scan your basements, garages and attics for antiques and vintage items; start collecting a bag or two of books and puzzles; knit or crochet some blankets, slippers, scarves or mittens; start a birdhouse project! Share your wares and your talents and help make Zion’s 2016 Strassenfest a success! Danke schön!
A full and festive weekend featuring two more events!
Also featured on Saturday will be the Swiss Steak Luncheon that annually serves over 120 guests. Held from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm in the church hall, the menu features Swiss steak, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, coleslaw, homemade bread, regular pickles and beet pickles, a beverage, plus apple or pumpkin pie for dessert. Help is always welcome for this event before, during and after! Contact Phyllis Bliese at 715-675-2630 to donate or volunteer.
On Sunday, October 9th, plan to attend the German Abendessen dinner event. The
event features a social hour at 5:00 pm, an authentic German dinner served family style at 6 pm, and a program by Pastor Paul Devantier. Contact the church office for more details.
We encourage you to reach out to Strassenfest chairs Lori and Dave Torkko at 715-551-0566 or email@example.com to donate, share ideas or volunteer.
Sie sehen im Oktober!!